Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baby Kason

Our new baby boy....
Kason Joseph Bengtzen



He came 4 weeks early, and is currently in the NICU.

Earlier this week, I went into early labor at 36 weeks (which I not-so-secretly wished for). I was so excited to be having the baby already, and had a c-section (for the fourth time). When he was born, he came out crying and adorable. Very soon however, it was clear he was struggling to breathe, and was taken out of the OR, away from me, to be treated. Erik went with him, and for hours sat and helplessly watched nurses trying to figure out what to do to help our baby.

Finally, he was transported in the middle of the night to another hospital with a capable NICU. He was put on ventilators, and had all sorts of lines and tubes everywhere. The first day was up and down, but finally he started improving. I didn't get to see him for 3 days, and at that point he was under the billiruben lights, with a mask on his eyes, oxygen, lines and tubes all over. It was honestly one of the most helpless, saddest sights to see my baby lying all alone, unable to be cuddled and comforted. I held him for the one hour of the day he could come off. It was one of the best hours of my life, and every hour that I get to spend with him since gets better and better.









He is currently making huge progess every day, and we hope to welcome him home in a few days! He is the sweetest little baby boy in the world, especially considering what he has had to go through the first days of his life. We have been extremely blessed by Heavenly Father and the Angels that have attended Kason in the NICU.







Erik and I appreciate all the help we've received from our family and friends. We love you all! We love our kids and baby boy more than life, and have grown even closer together through this trial.

Erik has been a superdad, taking care of our three kids, driving from one hospital to see me, to another hospital to see Kason, transporting kids to school, making sure they are emotionally cared for. He is my hero through all this, and Kason is my little superhero. I love my hubby and kids more than anything!

6 comments:

mjb said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful, and I hope you both get to go home soon.

connie9548 said...

Between the music and the beautiful pictures and story, you drew a few tears. What a beautiful baby boy to add to your already beautiful family. I hope it just keeps getting better.

Krista said...

Kason fits in perfectly with the rest of your kids - absolutely adorable!!!! Praying for him (and a speedy recovery for you.) Love you tons!

Joni said...

Congrats, I had no idea! I'm happy he is doing better and that he gets to come home soon. What a cutie, and I like his name.

Shannon said...

Oh Andrea he is beautiful! it brings back memories of when my little two pound ben was born. i also didn't see him for more than three days because he too was transported to a hospital (50 miles away). it is so hard and stressful when you have a baby in the hospital. please let me know what i can do to help. we love your family.
(i love the pic of kason with his mask on. we have one of ben that looks just like that. we called them his batman goggles. because he too was a little superhero!)

Katie said...

He is so cute! I'm so glad that he did better than they expected and got to come home so soon! It's always better to recover from having a baby with the baby! Love you! Let me know if you need anything!!!