Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Out Of The Running

Diaries of a Rookie Marathon Mama:
So, you know it's BAD when you have to call your dad to come pick you up from the middle of a run. But there I sat, overlooking Daybreak Lake, crying tears of hurt and frustration yesterday, as I tried in vain to stretch my ITB (leg) and wishing it would miraculously feel ALL better.

After a month-long bout with ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome - a running injury) I am sadly calling it quits on THE MARATHON. (Yes, it is sad and frustrating, even though I constantly complained about it. When you set your mind on something and work really hard to try to achieve it, then fall short and have to call it quits, it is disheartening, no matter how grueling it was.)

I'm going to see a PT to see what I can do about this injury, but I know that my body has its limits right now, and I've got to listen to it. So I've got to come to grips with reality. When I signed up for a marathon, I knew it would be hard. So now I REALLY don't know how people run 26.2 miles!

Anyway, I just hope to be able to walk normally soon, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to pull off the Half-Marathon instead.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Sorry to hear that Andrea, I hope your leg gets better fast. Let's get together soon!!!! Love ya! Since you aren't running, lets go eating instead.

Maryann said...

I know how you feel Andrea. I have problems with my knees and can't run and do different "knee exercises". It is so hard,since I really do like exercising. I feel so crappy when I don't exercise atleast 3x a week.But alot of times my knees keeps me from it.=( I hope you can recover quickly.miss you!!