Tuesday, September 22, 2009

American Girl

So, Jordan has been getting these magazine catalogues in the mail for this tweeny-bopper phenomenon called "American Girl," and to say she loves them would be an understatement. She goes through and circles everything she wants, and by the time she's gone through it twice, every single doll, outfit, accessory, you name it, is circled (some even 10 times over).

So what am I supposed to do with THAT!?

Did I mention that you can customize the doll to look like you?! (So what happens when you get a long haired doll with bangs, then your daughter cuts her hair or grows out her bangs and no longer matches her doll??)

And if it isn't enough that each doll costs $100, then of course that doll HAS to have SOMETHING fancy to wear, something to play with (as if a doll can ride a horse or talk on a cell phone!), or a pet to care for (are you freaking kidding me?!) to go with her!

So I've told her that either Santa will bring her one, or I'll get her one for her birthday.

Wait! Holy crap! What did I just committ to?!?!

Does anyone out there have one of these ridiculously adorable dolls (I'm even thinking of getting one myself - isn't being a parent about reliving your childhood?!)

(Oh, and I am now taking charitable donations for "American Girl.")

9 comments:

Amber said...

Bethia loves that magazine too. By the time she's done with it, it is in pieces. They are cute, but my girl is too rough to have something that fancy. Maybe when she's 8! Have fun saving for that one! Can't wait to see your matching dolls, with their matching outfits, and their matching.....

McKinlay Family said...

I love the dolls. I got Lauren Kit. She looks just like her. I have to admit that I like the doll more than her. There are a lot of places around her that sell similar accessories for cheap. We will chat dolls soon.

Liz said...

So, Ashley wants one too. I tried to talk her into the cheap Target knock-off but she would have anything do to with it. We'll see if Santa pulls through this year. So far, Mr. Grinch says NO!! :(

Krista said...

Not only do my girls have the dolls, and their pet dogs, and pajamas that match their dolls' (courtesy of aunt Tiff,) but aforementioned aunt is taking us all to the Mall of America next month specifically to go to the 20,000 square foot American Girl store. I can not justify spending that kind of money on toys. But, to the girls' credit, they love their dolls and play with them all the time. Good luck!

Natalie said...

These dolls sound adorable. But is there a way to block my mailing address from ever receiving a catalog? At least I can try to shelter her until one of her friends has one, right? Post pictures of your dolls though!

Queen Of The Castle said...

Aubrey started with the bitty baby when she was two and now has several dolls she as aquired over the years (thanks to Grandma). She has loved them. The nice thing with American Girl is that you can send them in to be cleaned/fixed up so they will last forever.

Alisa said...

Bev got Kit last year and this year I think we are getting her the one that looks like her. We have bought some of the AG stuff, but Target has great accessories. Bev has the Target bed--it's great.

Bev was 7 when she got hers--I don't know if I would have done it much before that. She takes really good care of her.

Even better than the dolls, for me anyway, are the books. They are fabulous for about 7 year-olds and up.

Joni said...

Wow, I must be out of it. I've never heard of this doll, hopefully Alyssa has never heard of it either. Post a picture when you get one!

The Baros Family said...

My daughters have them and I have to say it was probably the best investment ever!! We bought the one from Target for my littlest one and it it crappy in comparison and the hair got all ratty within a month. I buy the accessories at Target and the Georgian Doll shop in Gardner Village has amazing clothes and accessories for a third of the price. I waited till my daughters were 7 and they were desperate for one. They treat them like prized possesions.