Tuesday, June 16, 2009

RUN



I awoke with a raging sore throat, congestion in my chest and head, and a benadryl hangover. I was sick, and I hadn't slept well.

Bella, who was in a pack-n-play in the bathroom shower, with the air vent on for "white noise," had woken up several times in the night (no big surprise - she's been battling nonstop ear infections for months and is soon getting tubes.)

The hotel alarm clock blared into my fuzzy consciousness, and I remembered why I was there.

I was RUNNING A HALF MARATHON in an hour, around the pristine shores of carribean-blue Bear Lake.

I took a hot bath to loosen the congestion, scarfed down some Fiber One poptarts and a Mtn Dew (fiber and caffeine - the staples of life), hooked up my ipod, stuffed some powergel in my pocket, and walked out the door into a fine mist. The sky was BLACK, not even a result of the early 6 o'clock hour - but heavy with dark ominous rain clouds.

Great. Hopefully it would clear up in an hour.

At the bus stop, hundreds of fellow runners stretched while waiting for the shuttle that would take us 13.1 miles up the road, drop us off, and leave us for dead, or to run our way back to civilization (whichever occured first.)

Then it began to rain - really rain. A lady came around yelling "Ponchos!" And she handed me a big black garbage bag. I was supposed to rip holes in it to make my own rain-resistant poncho. Lovely.

Runners were diving for cover under park shelters and trees. I joined a group of tree-huggers and donned my black garbage sack. The bus was late, leaving me to ponder a miserable existence for the next 2 and a half hours.

Once the "RACE" finally began - (I'll never actually call it that, as I am just intent on finishing alive, not beating any competition - other than the road, my cold, the rain, and my taut muscles and aching joints) - I was all but ready to have it over with.

My saving grace: THANK HEAVEN FOR IPODS!

With the volume pumped up, it was just barely tolerable, as the rain pelted through my light layers of running clothes, leaving me soaked through and through (nothing like rain combined with sweat to leave you feeling wet, clingy, and quite UN-fresh, from the inside out.)

And this is how I continued, for
2 hours and 24 minutes...
(Concrete proof that I am NOT a racer.)

I never wanted to run in the rain, I never have run in the rain before, and I never will run in the rain again.

But alas, I finished!

12 comments:

Burts said...

Andrea, that is so awesome!! I am proud of you! Have a great birthday.

Maryann said...

Andrea has anyone ever told you you should write books?I was reading your post and it sounded like a book I wanted it to keep going.Just a thought....
Happy Birthday Girl!! I am proud of you and envy you.If it werent for my bum knees I would participate in "runs".=(

AllieSun said...

Wow I am very very impressed. You go Girl!

Jane said...

Gosh the half marathon alone would have killed me, let alone all the circumstances. You are so tough, way to go. I wish I had half your determination.

Queen Of The Castle said...

That is awesome. I can't run - bad feet, surgery etc. It's actually very convenient. Steve ran the St. George marathon last year and it poured the whole time. He sprained his leg five miles into the race, however and could not finish. So good for you for not only finishing, but finishing injury free!!

Krista said...

You need to find a different hobby! I would love someone to window shop with (and if it rains, we'll just hang out in the store longer.) I'll even speed walk up and down the aisles if it would make you happy.

Annie P said...

I love that you did that. Way to go. I think that a half is even too far to go but what an accomplishment.

Janna said...

Your post brought back memories of Brandon's marathon last year (St. George) it rained the whole time on him too! The only thing he had going for him was the Immodium that he took that morning....LOL!!
You the Wo-man!!!!!

Liz said...

Andrea - you ROCK! Can't wait to see you again.

Jillo said...

Hooray for Wag! I am very proud and very impressed. You totally rock.

Joni said...

Congrats! You are awesome! Sorry you had to do it in the rain.

Todd and Megan said...

Good Job! Sounds miserable in the rain though...my father-in-law also ran.