Monday, May 25, 2009

Three Blind Mice, Three Blind Mice...

This weekend we cleaned out a large grassy compost heap in the backyard, and what did we uncover, but a nest of BABY MICE.

...See how they run,
See how they run...


Well, we have two cats, and as you can imagine, it was quite a show of "cat and mouse." All the neighbor children gathered around to watch Erik scrambling to scoop up all the mice before our ENERGETIC FEROCIOUS black cat Jazzy could pounce on them. The affectionately termed "mommy and daddy" mice were frantically running around the yard in search of their young, before Jazzy chased them under the fence and out into the wild blue yonder.

As Jordan excitedly walked across the yard to show me a plastic cup filled with FIVE BABY MICE, I was torn between screaming and swatting the contaminated cup out of her little hands, and oogling over the adorable babies of nature's most pesky rodents.

Much to the horror of most (including myself and my husband), after one look at them, I instantly took on a MATERNAL PROTECTIVE STANCE towards the helpless brown-gray squealers. And now we have three baby mice, cozily nestled in a cage in our family room.




In fact, they are so CUTE that I thought two baby mice would make the perfect BIRTHDAY PRESENT for a cute little 3-yr old neighbor girl, and (jokingly, I swear) suggested it to their mother. Well, come to find out, she grew up having rats and various rodents as pets, and thought the mice would make a teriffic addition to their family! (Liz, you are SO COOL!) So we packaged them up and brought them over, for what just may be THE most memorable birthday present. (Who gives baby mice to a three-year old as a birthday gift?! Certainly NOT I!)



Bella, get your hands away from those contaminated critters!

11 comments:

Burts said...

I am torn between having the hibbijibbies and thinking they are kind of cute! Atleast you found them before they found the nice cozy inside of your house:)

Jane said...

that is pretty gross, but I can say we had a pet mouse when I was little. His name was Marvin and when he died we had a funeral. His name is carved in the cement in our backyard. Maybe you will grow the same attachment.

Janna said...

eeewwwwwww!!!!!! As I read your post I had to lift my feet off of the floor and try not to SCREAM!! I hate mice and everything about them. No maternal instincts for mice in me! And I am so grateful that I am not your neighbor in this case.

Liz said...

LOL! Janna, if you only knew... Our little ones are doing wonderful. They have been affectionately named "Chip and Dale." The kids are taking turns having them "sleep" in their rooms at night. Megan thanks you again for the unique birthday present. I think it takes a very special and tender person to love one of God's less desirable creatures. Cheers to us, Andrea!

Jillo said...

Hats off to you Liz! I don't know you, but I think you are a brave lady.
Any kind of rodent will never take residence in our home. Although I do have a friend who keeps pet rats and she loves them.

Krista said...

Judging by the economy size bottle of ERAZE in my garage you can tell how I feel about any sort of rodent. Please don't invite us over any time soon, I can just hear my kids now, "But Mom, Andrea is sooooo cool, how come we can't have mice as pets?"

Krista said...

I have taken a survey, and for the first time since you left, we are glad that your backyard (and cage of baby mice) are miles away. Did you consider the diseases that wild mice have, or the possibility of reproduction? I keep reading your post, hoping that it is a late April Fool's joke. I really do miss having you close, even if it meant having to buy more ERAZE.

Andrea said...

Ahhh, Krista, you brighten my life! We do NOT allow anyone's hands to touch the mice. Erik cleans the cage with a piece of cardboard packaging as a "shovel," and doesn't touch the wild diseased animals. And when they grow up (like in a few weeks) to reproductive age, we will happily separate them (and say "addios" to one or two.)

We may invite you over to bring your ERAZE and spray our entire property, just so this does not happen AGAIN!

Joni said...

What a funny and crazy story, you are a hilarious storyteller too. Good luck with the mice, you are much braver than I.

Krista said...

I am so glad you know me well enough not to be offended by my comments. Love You!

Queen Of The Castle said...

What the....