Monday, February 23, 2009

Camp Bengtzen

So, I've got my niece and nephew over for the whole week, so it's "Five-For-Fighting" (isn't that a band?)
Welcome to CAMP BENGTZEN...



I learned a few things last time that I'm hoping will make things run a little smoother this go-around:

1) Everyone gets their own brand-new spillproof sippy cup, with their name on it. This will prevent the "oops... whose chocolate milk seeped out all over the carpet?" and "I want a drink NOW - which cup is mine?" and "sorry kids, no more drinks, I can't find a damn lid and all the cups are in the dishwasher."

2) Each person has a bed of their own - we even hauled Paige's mattress over, hoping this will control the night-time chaos. So will it work??
Night one: No. Mommy didn't sleep a wink from midnight to 4am, along with various kids at varying times. Somewhere around 2am Erik went downstairs to the couch to get out of the line of fire. Paige replaced him in bed an hour later. And yes, The Screamer has returned (see an old post for details on that one.)

3) Freezer is stocked with quick n' easy heatable meals: french toast sticks, chicken nuggets, taquitos, waffles, etc...
Of course, this morning at breakfast, Aidan vehemently stated "I don't like those [french toast sticks]!" And at lunch, Jordan and Owen declared "I don't like chicken nuggets!" Yeah right, what toddler doesn't like chicken nuggets?! That's why we go to Chik-Fil-A all the time. I broke down and yelled, "This is your lunch and it's all your getting so EAT IT!!" They ate it all up.

4) They've each got their own little flashlight to chase away the boogeyman. A cure to the night-time discomfort of being someplace new? Rule #1: DON'T SHINE IT IN ANYONE'S EYES!! We need some work on that one. Later..."My flashlight won't turn on." (Yea, cause you left it on all night and the batteries are dead.) Dang. Smart Mommy bought extra batteries! Oh Yea.

Day one analysis: Everyone is sleep deprived and it's only Monday.

"Bella, sweetheart, please hand over mommy's drink."

And then there's this...

Uh, we're gonna need to work on that before your mommy and daddy come home, Owen.

7 comments:

Jane said...

Good luck this week. I love the picture with Owen in a dress, too funny. Way to be firm and in charge, I love the rules.

AllieSun said...

I'm laughing so hard I can't stop. That is great!
Good Luck with the rest of the week.

Evie said...

Thanks for the good laugh!:) You are such a great sister! Man, Jordan is looking older, can you believe our babies will start kindergarten next year? Did you get your papers, we got ours last week... YIKES!

Krista said...

I am thinking of taking a trip - do you know anyone willing to babysit three kids for a week?

Jillo said...

Oh you are a brave, brave woman! How fun that you are doing this. Your kids will have such great memories. (minus poor Owen when he finally realizes that a week spent in his cousins Sunday dress isn't exactly an awesome thing.)
GOOD LUCK!!!! Maybe eventually they will all collaps from exhaustion and sleep for 12 hour straight.

Katie said...

That is hilarious! You are a brave woman. I am a little nervous about the addition of my niece but at least she will start out as a baby and won't be able to talk back to me--yet.

Natalie said...

Wag- You crack me up! Keep the hilarious posts coming...we should get everyone together for a GNO so we can laugh together in person.