Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby's First Christmas



I love the fun of celebrating a baby's first Christmas. I love dressing them up and taking adorable pictures. I love watching them play in the packages and wrapping paper, and putting a big red bow on their head. The only thing this time around that perplexes me is buying presents for the baby.

My poor little third child will hardly get anything for Christmas. Because I have two older bright-eyed expectant and demanding children who tank the Christmas budget (in addition to everyone else we buy gifts for, of course). And we already have all the little baby rattles and toys and stuffed dolls and clothes from years before. So Baby Bella will be getting a "chew toy." And that's it. Makes me feel like she's a dog instead of a precious little child of mine. I console myself by saying she's only 8 months old and will not remember this at all, and she could care less if she's playing with a $100 activity center or a plastic spoon. But I still feel a little bad for her. After all, our first baby had an aisle from Babies-R-Us under the tree. Oh well - by now I really do value the meaning of Christmas much more than all the pretty packages that money can buy.

So I'll just hold my Baby Bella in my arms on Christmas morning, smell her sweet hair, and cherish my memories of her first Christmas, while she contentedly sucks on her one little toy.

4 comments:

KRISTA said...

Your family is beautiful! I love the Christmas pics. You know you can always surround Bella with the presents before they are opened, take her picture and then later NO ONE will remember who's was who's.

Liz said...

Don't beat yourself up too much - you have given her the best present yet - a family that loves her.

Jill O said...

Cute pictures! You guys look so great. My baby is number 4 and she is getting a present that was supposed to be for her birthday, but we saved it for Christmas. They have more fun with the wrapping paper anyway.
Merry Christmas!

Natalie said...

I totally feel the same way about my poor, little Ellie this year! We had to really stretch to find some stuff to buy her (which I didn't even want to do since the whole toy room is FULL!) - so she is getting one doll and a walker. And then we are giving her some DVDS and books that will really be used mainly by Isaac - does that make me a bad mother?? Anyway, your family pictures are adorable!