Thursday, November 20, 2008

Body Worlds - Blast from the Past

So I went to see Body Worlds 3, and it was really awesome. I recommend it to anyone who has any small inkling to see what we humans look like under our skin.

Now I'm going on a blast-from-the-past reverie:
Warning: Not for the faint of heart!!

The exhibit totally took me back 10 years ago to my college days when I worked as a pathology assistant doing autopsies and analyzing surgical pathology biopsies at University of Utah Hospital. (Yeah, I did that.)

This was absolutely the coolest job I have ever had. I saw just about everything you could imagine. I got to literally extract people's brains out of their heads, remove their hearts (and all those other organs), saw open their vertebrae to get their spinal cord out, clean out the "poop shoot" (as we affectionately called the entire bowel track), and on and on...
I scrutinized and submitted biopsies of all kinds that were taken from people in clinic or surgery. Things like the littlest mole to diabetic legs (without their host), to miscarraiges to uteruses to colon polyps to brain tumors to breast cancer to prostates to skin cancer...

It was amazing. Sure, it's not the kind of job you say to yourself, "I really want to perform autopsies on dead people when I grow up;" Or, "I really wish I could cut up that verrucous hairy wart off someone's back." But it was sooooo educational and never failed to be an interesting day. I guess if you can stomach that job, you can handle poopy diapers, vomit, sippy cups with month old green milk chunks, bleeding ouchies, and rotting produce or ham in the fridge.

What it all comes down to is, I LOVE my job now. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Wouldn't trade it for fame, fortune, accolades, recognition, nothing. I am so very glad to be a mother!! (And especially to be blessed enough to stay home with my little angels.) I just can't believe it took me so long to embark on this endeavor. I should have started it 10 years ago, right after that pathology job desensitized me to all that is gross in the world!

3 comments:

Jill O said...

I am not even sure what to say to that. =) It does sound interesting, if not slightly disgusting. Do you think you will ever go back? Can I someday look you up when I need a nasty something or other removed? That would be great!

Annie P said...

I don't want that job. But I really want to go to the body exhibit. It sounds so interesting.

AllieSun said...

I think that it is so great that this helped you to appriciate motherhood and not miss what could have been. I have to admit that I thought youi were a little crazy to go so far in school and then give it up to be a Mom, so it is great to know how much you love being a mom. I have moments like this every once in a while where even thought people thought I was Crazy for my choice I know I wouldn't change it for the world. Good for you!